An illustrative sentence is an example that clarifies the usage of a particular sense of a lexeme.
An illustrative sentence will help you
- clarify the meaning of a lexeme
- use a word in the correct grammatical context, and
- gain insight into the culture and literary style of the language.
A good illustrative sentence meets the following criteria:
- It clarifies the meaning of the lexeme.
- It illustrates the meaning as defined in the sense.
- It contains characteristic elements that reinforce and constrain the meaning, such as
- behavior or action
- position or location, and
- material composition.
- See: How to test an illustrative sentence for specificificity
- It is easy to understand.
- It is simple in construction (up to about 10 words).
- It is clear in its references.
- It is accurate.
- It is accurate in grammar.
- It is consistent.
- It is accurate in its information about the culture.
- It is true to the value system of the culture.
- It is practical.
- It is useable by a language learner in daily life.